Home Design and Construction Trend Forecast 2022
SCARSDALE, NY, November 2, 2021 / PRNewswire / – It’s no surprise that the design of the house is changing. The past 18 months have given homeowners a chance to really assess what they want their home to reflect. As a result, the dominant trend in home design is creative expression, individuality and freedom of design.
âIt makes sense, because people have gone from having to be at the house want to to be comfortable in an environment which expresses their personality and their individual tastes â, says Laurier Vernazza, interior design expert at The collection of plans, the pioneer of online home design plans. “Since no one could travel, owners had to bring these experiences to their homes.”
For 2022, The Plan Collection’s team of home and construction experts identify the following key trends and forecasts for home design and construction. Photos are available here.
IT’S ALL ABOUT CURVES – Curves, when done right, add character and an element of surprise and fun to any home. This trend is opposed to the “straight line syndrome” of recent years.
- Inside, expect to see more arched openings, barrel vaulted ceilings, and curved furniture
- Outside, arched windows and doors, openings and arched ceilings for porches or terraces and curved walkways
THE PATTERNS ADD PIZZAZZ TO HARDWOOD FLOORS – New trends include:
- Incorporate lighter wood into designs, whether in a room or part of a room
- Increased interest in Old World craftsmanship with two-tone inlays, patterns or even different tones
- With supply chain disruptions and soaring lumber prices, homeowners are re-valuing salvaged wood finds from the flea market
BRING NATURE INSIDE – By incorporating elements of nature into the interior, homeowners will continue to embrace this “biophilic design” philosophy rather than simply mimicking the colors found on the exterior.
- Increased use of local organic materials while maximizing sunlight, fresh air, plants and other natural elements in the home
- More location-based relationships between homes and the distinctive geographic and ecological features that surround the home
- Integrate forms and natural forms in architecture
KITCHENS – ALL BUT WHITE (ALMOST) IN CABINETS AND COUNTERS – Homeowners are tired of all white kitchens and counters – they want to spice things up.
- Expect painted or wood cabinetry in attractive, warm and neutral hues, countertops will feature alternative material choices while granite remains popular
- The mixture of two countertop materials will gain popularity i.e. granite countertops and hardwood for the kitchen island
MAXIMALISM BEGINS TO MOVE AGAINST MINIMALISM – Maximalism will be embraced as seen in a bohemian cottage or ornate English mansion as it offers individual expression and conveys the freedom to show off one’s personality.
- As the inventory of new furniture decreases, the demand for high quality and kitsch antiques will be in high demand.
- As people travel less, they have more disposable income, so creative expressions of personality permeate interior design. Furniture, rugs, art and painting reflecting past travel destinations or future dream locations bring this idea home.
BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK – While natural, subtle colors and warm tones will continue to be trending in 2022, black accents will be the exception. Examples include interior and exterior black window frames, black lacquered entry doors, and black appliances – shiny or matte.
CONCRETE HOUSES REVISITED AS LANDSCAPE PRICES CONTINUE TO INCREASE – Building concrete block and insulated formwork provides benefits such as higher energy efficiency which helps lower energy bills, resilience to better withstand extreme weather conditions (e.g. hurricanes, fires) and a variety of home styles.
ECOLOGICAL, SUSTAINABLE AND ELEGANT – THE METAL ROOF – Either on the roof as a whole or as an accent on a porch roof or awning roof over windows; metal roofs are durable and last 40 to 70 years.
ABOUT THE PLANS COLLECTION
The collection of plans offers more than 20,000 affordable home plans developed by the country’s most talented architects and designers. Through the use of pre-drawn but customizable blueprints, builders and those looking to build can develop their dream home for less. In addition to the wide selection of plans available, the site has in-depth how-to articles and knowledgeable customer service representatives to help visitors find quick answers to their questions. For more information visit https://www.theplancollection.com/.
Primary public relations
SOURCE The collection of plans