Houzz Releases 2021 Emerging Home Design Trends Report
PALO ALTO, Calif. — Houzz has identified six emerging home design trends based on research from its community of American homeowners, home design enthusiasts, and home professionals.
The 2021 Emerging Home Design Trends report reflects year-over-year growth in searches on Houzz from April to June this year, compared to the same period in 2020.
The six main trends are:
- Dedicated activity spaces: People rely on their homes to provide new opportunities for activity and entertainment. Searches are up nearly 10x for art studios, nearly 4x for home bars and wine cellars, followed by home theaters, home gyms and home offices at 3x, 2.5x and 2x respectively.
- Bringing in the outside: This year, Houzz found that one in five homeowners are opening their kitchen outdoors, with searches for artificial plants (up 7x) and trees (up 4.5x) increasing, as well as an increase in searches for green kitchen cabinets, tiled bathrooms, accent chairs and bedrooms.
- Refreshment of the living room: As people have spent more time in their living rooms over the past year, they may be looking for inspiration, with searches for living rooms up 52% from the same time in 2020. While accent pillows and home accents have seen some of the most dramatic increases (up 51x and 25x, respectively), other decorative touches are also on the rise.
Design that offers flexibility: Many homeowners are turning to furniture options that offer more flexibility. Searches for TV cabinets with retractable doors (up to 23x), large wall beds (up to 21x) and nesting side tables (up to 20x) create a double use for a room. Swivel accent chairs (up to 20x) create flexible definitions between rooms, and daybed sets (up to 9x) offer multiple uses.
- Luxury Fabrics, Materials and Colors: What’s hot in fabrics? It’s getting glamorous with searches incorporating velvet, gold and crystal that are increasing year by year.
- Make a splash with pool design: Outdoor spaces are also attracting additional attention, with searches for swimming pools and pool houses each more than doubling compared to the same period in 2020. People are looking for specific pool styles, shapes and designs, with searches for swimming pools with water features multiplied by almost 8. .
Vicky Jarrett has worked with various furniture industry publications – including Furniture Today, Retail Ideas, Our State magazine and Casual Living – for over 20 years and joined Furniture Today as Editor-in-Chief in 2016.